Blantyre derby involving Be Forward Wanderers and Nyasa Big Bullets, which was scheduled for January 2, has been shifted to a later date.
Super League of Malawi (Sulom) Vice General Secretary, Zacharia Nyirenda told local media that unforseen circumstances forced them to shift the thrilling encounter to February or early March.
The shifting of the match is a huge relief to Nyasa Big Bullets as nine more members of the team have tested positive for COVID-19.
It could have been a huge blow to the defending champions if the match was to played this weekend as scheduled. Total number of confirmed cases in Bullets camp stands at eleven.
The club says players, officials and support staff went for Covid-19 tests on Sunday after Hassan Kajoke, Ernest Kakhobwe and Stanley Billiat had tested positive last week.
“Out of the 49 that took the test, seven players and one official tested positive, namely Mike Mkwate, Henry Kabichi, Nelson Kangunje, McFallen Mgwira, Luke Chima, Richard Chimbamba and Yamikani Magombo, the team’s Coid-19 Desk Officer.
“Amongst the new cases, few have flue like symptoms while the rest are asymptomatic.The Club realizes there is still a job to do as we continue tracing and making sure we are all free from the infection.
As a team we will do whatever it takes to follow all the necessary measures to prevent further spreading of the virus,” said the club in a statement.
The statement further stated that positive cases will be self- isolated in accordance with Sulom and Government safety protocols.