President Dr Lazarus Chakwera on Monday expressed shock at the death of Catholic Archbishop Tarcisius Ziyaye of Lilongwe Archdiocese.
“His faith in Christ, belief in humanity and courage in pursuing justice for all have long been an inspiration to me and so many,” the Malawi leader said in a statement read at Monday’s State House Weekly Brief by Director of Communication Sean Kampondeni.
“My deepest condolences to his bereaved family and all the faithful who will miss him,” adds the statement.
Ziyaye, 71, passed on in the early hours of Monday in Namibia where he went for medical treatment.
Born on May 19, 1949, Ziyaye was ordained priest in 1977 and appointed auxillary bishop of Dedza Diocese in 1991.
Other appointments followed as follows:
- Appointed Titular bishop of Macon in 1991.
- Ordained Titular Bishop of Macon in 1992.
- Appointed Coadjutor Bishop of Lilongwe Diocese in 1993.
- Succeded Bishop of Lilongwe in 1994.
- Appointed Archbishop of Blantyre Archdiocese in 2001.
- Appointed Archbishop of Lilongwe in 2013.