On the 3rd of November, 2020, the Malawi National Examinations Board (MANEB), made a resolution to cancel the entire Malawi School Certificate of Education (MSCE) Examinations in a bid to preserve the credibility and integrity of national examinations in Malawi. This decision was taken following evidence of massive leakage of many papers students were sitting for at the time.
On the 4th of November 2020, MANEB Board in conjunction with the Ministry of Education, announced the cancellation of the 2020 MSCE Examinations.
Following these developments, on the 5th of November, 2020, His Excellency the State President, Dr. Lazarus McCarthy Chakwera, directed that MSCE examinations be re-administered not later than January 2021.
In line with the directive made by His Excellency the State President, the Ministry would like to announce the following:
- Form Four students should report back to their respective schools on the 28th of December, 2020 so that they prepare for the re-sitting of the Malawi School Certificate of Education, Examinations. This is applicable to all public and private secondary schools.
- Payment of Schools Fees: The Ministry is aware that at the time of cancellation of examinations, Form Four students had not fully utilized their fees for term three which is normally paid in full. The Ministry therefore directs that no school shall demand fees from the students as examinations will be administered within one month from the day the students report at school.
- Examination Fees: No student will be required to pay Examination Fees as this cost will be shouldered by Government.
- Costs for Practical Examinations: The costs of all practical examinations will be shouldered by Government. As such no school shall demand fees for practicals from students.
- Form One Students: Newly selected Form One students should report for Schools on 1st February, 2021, after the Form four students finish their examinations. This is so that we create space and avoid congesting the schools, so that schools can keep up COVID-19 preventive measures.
- Forms 2, 3, and 4 Students: Continuing Forms 2, 3 and 4 students, should report on 5th January, 2021, for the 2021 academic year as planned in the bridging calendar which the Ministry previously circulated.
The Ministry wishes to call upon all schools to strictly adhere and be in full compliance with these guidelines.
The Ministry further wishes to remind all schools to keep adhering to the COVID-19 preventive measures at all times as stipulated in the school reopening guidelines.