A 42-year-old man died over the weekend after taking locally distilled spirit popularly known as “kachasu” in Chiradzulu.
The man has been identified as Christopher Billiat from Matope village in the area of Traditional Authority Nkalo in the district.
According to the reporter who happens to be his elder brother, Billiat had been doing piece works at Matope market in the area.
It is further said that he got a piece work where he was offloading bags of fertiliser at a certain shop, he worked for four consecutive days. After completion of the work, he realised money which made him to disregard food and opted for Kachasu.
He was found dead over the weekend at a certain building which is under construction in the area. Police and medical personnel visited the scene where death was confirmed to be due to hypoglycaemia as a result of talking alcohol on an empty stomach.
Police therefore, wish to advice all imbibers to make sure they eat properly before taking alcohol especially locally distilled kachasu in their stomachs.